Wednesday 29 September 2010

The changing of the seasons

I'm sure there's a reason why the trains have to blow their horns as many times as they do, but it's pretty annoying. Particularly late at night. They keep doing it for ages, as well. Would it not make more sense to have barriers on the crossings and not need to announce their presence quite so loudly?

Anyway. One just went past, and it has now stopped bugging me.

I finally tidied my room! The floor beneath the window is now clear of clothes and stuff, and if I ever get round to sorting out the clutter on my desk, the room will look pretty neat. I think I might have to pick up a dust pan and brush at some point though, there's no carpet so the floor is covered in little bits of dust and grit and stuff. I imagine the floor is going to be pretty cold come winter, especially since a few people have mentioned how cold this rez gets in winter anyway. I don't know how cold it's actually going to be, but there's been mention of -40 C which is more than cold enough. Hopefully we'll be going to the mall at the end of the week so I can get some proper winter stuff. I don't think a hoodie and gloves will be enough, somehow...

Saturday was a lot of fun; we ended up spending 5 hours on Dewie's and then watched films in my room. We ended up watching two, and then going back to Dewie's for a snack because we were hungry again. Then we nearly finished the fourth film before the RA was giving out free pizza (at 2am. I love uni) It was a lot of fun just sitting around talking and watching films and stuff. Then on Sunday they were showing cartoons on the big screen in Dewie's when we were in there for lunch. They're much more interesting than news!

It's the strange thing about the news here; they have a bar going along the bottom of the screen showing headlines, but you never actually find anything else out about the stories... There was one a few days ago about a baby having been found in an airport. I have no idea if the baby was ok, or whether anyone had found out who the baby belonged to. It just said a baby had been found. Not exactly informative.

It's starting to look like autumn outside now. There are leaves and fir needles falling all the time, and behind one of the sports fields there's this mass of trees that are just starting to turn. They're going to look amazing soon; I can't wait. The weather's been a bit strange the past few days. It's been raining on and off, but yesterday was so humid and stuffy, it was actually horrible being sat in class. It didn't help that I'd barely slept and kept nearly nodding off in my first class, but I ended up skipping my other two classes and staying in my room instead. I don't think I could have taken anything in anyway, and at least one of the classes is mainly done from a powerpoint. Classical myth could be more complicated because he basically stands and talks, and occaasionally writes a random word on the blackboard.

I can't believe they still use blackboards here... A couple of the rooms have white boards instead, but I haven't seen a blackboard since I was about 13 or something. Such a throwback! The computers in the library are cool though; they're all Macs, but you can choose if you run Windows or Mac on them. There are so many Mac snobs here. If you see someone with a laptop, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a Mac. From what I've seen on the news though, Blackberry are releasing their own version of the iPad. I don't really want one, I just like the idea that there's at least some competition in the market.

The drama department are doing three nights of 'New Plays' this week. I went last night with a couple of people, and it's so good! They're actually pretty brilliant. Red claims the best play is the first one tonight, and considering how good the ones we've already seen were, I'm imagining it's going to be pretty epic. I will wait with bated breath, or something. It's a great way to spend three evenings though, and $15 for three nights is a pretty good deal.

I had a lie in this morning, but I was mainly making up for the lack of sleep yesterday. I only have two classes today, which is so much easier than the three back to back on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I probably could have made it through all of them yesterday, but I barely made it through the first class, and the thought of sitting through another three hours of class just made me more sleepy. I haven't skipped any before yesterday though, so I don't think I've missed out on too much. I'll have to ask about Myth tomorrow.

Think I'll stop writing now and try and get some more reading done before class.

No comments:

Post a Comment