Monday 6 September 2010

You have reached your destination

I made it to Bishop's about a day later than originally planned. I think getting the coach from Montreal to Sherbrooke was the easiest part of the entire journey, and I got to do that after a decent (ish) night's sleep.
Last night was absolutely mental. All the Froshers were out drinking and shouting in a huge group, which I'm really glad I wasn't part of. I know they keep saying that drinking on Frosh isn't demanded of you, but it just isn't as good being in a massive crowd of drunk people if you're sober, and I'm not going to be drinking...
I think for a lot of people, this is the first time they've been legally allowed to drink, so they're going crazy about it. I didn't go crazy when I turned 18, I'm not going to now after two years of being legal... I think the insanity is carrying on tonight, so I'll be staying inside where it's safe and reasonably quiet. I don't care if it's boring.
The room is nice enough; it's basically what you'd expect from halls. It's bigger than my room was in halls my first year, but it's also right by the main door for the building (lots of loud talking and slamming doors) and a stupidly long walk to get to the girls' showers, which is going to annoy me quite a bit, I expect.
The food in the dining hall is pretty good, although I still haven't worked out how the hell you get coffee... I only worked out where the cups and cutlery were yesterday lunchtime, so I guess I'll find out eventually. Until then I will just be glad I don't have an addiction to coffee like some people I know. I doubt it would help with the minor case of jetlag anyway, what with it sending me to sleep.
Went to Walmart yesterday with one of the girls I'd met on FB and her mum. Managed to get a pillow and shampoo and other stuff I needed, so that should keep me going for a while, at least.
I haven't met that many people yet, but most of the stuff that's going on involves crowds of people cheering and singing, and there's no way I'd join in with that sort of thing. I'll probably meet some people at registration tomorrow, and then classes start on Wednesday. I think I've met about one person doing english, and most of the people around are freshers who will only be in a couple of my classes even if they are on the same subject.
Discovered I can't watch iplayer here; you can apparently only use it in the UK, which is mildly annoying, but someone's uploaded what looks to be every episode of Qi onto youtube, so I can watch that on there. Other than that there's probably not much I'm actually going to miss seeing.
I might go on a mission to get some food...

No comments:

Post a Comment