Thursday 21 October 2010

I should be taking notes right now

I may be sitting in class playing with the internet...

I am also half paying attention to the prof, but he's not telling us anything new (not just because he's talking Greek myth). This class is only interesting because we're studying mythology. Without that I think I'd be even more bored out of my mind than I already am. He's moved on from the Iliad to Hesiod, which is more about the birth of the gods and stuff, as opposed to Homer which is all about Achilles' anger and the interference of the gods in mortal lives - see? I have learnt something while messing around online!

I'm also really hungry. I've been in class for nearly four hours and I didn't eat that much for lunch. Going to the Lion for steak tonight though! I can't wait. I am getting some serious steak craving right now. Plus it's not Dewie's so it's pretty much guaranteed to be amazing.

Don't think anything particularly exciting has happened this week. I had a midterm in Playwriting. I think I've failed. I did so badly on that thing. I did pretty well on my Canadian Short Story module though, I got a B, which considering she's the toughest marker in the uni, that's pretty damned impressive. I'm rather pleased with myself. Totally failed that midterm though.

Still waiting on the results for the Intro to Lit midterm. I don't think I did too badly, but I'm going slightly crazy what with all the people panicking and feeling the need to rehash everything again and again. It's done and gone. Is there really any point going over it all the time? It's not like we can do anything about it...

That class was pretty good, the other day. We spent half of class watching trailers for different films based on Arthur (Arthuriana, apparently). It was vaguely academic in that we were looking at how the myth is portrayed depending on the social concerns of the time... It was a valid way to spend the lesson, honest.

How did the prof get onto the Big Bang Theory? I think I missed something. Oh right, he's talking about Hesiod explaining 'the beginning'. Well, he says that in the beginning was Chaos. I love that he doesn't need to explain these things. They just are. Don't you love the Greeks? Chaos meaning 'void' rather than, you know, chaos...

I can totally multitask...

I think he's going off on another tangent. Something about voids and yawning.

The Earth is female! See? We didn't just come about because Prometheus stole fire from the gods! We were here first. The Earth came along into Chaos, and then came Eros (love - as in sexual. Nothing romantic about this stuff). The Earth is called 'Ge' (as in Gaia). Eros is male.

Erebus and Night gave birth to day... I think I got lost. It's pretty hard to follow when he starts reading. I think it would make more sense if I read it myself.

Some parthenogenesis (literally 'virgin-birth') - the Earth gave birth to the ocean with no male input. All of these things are anthropomorphic, because they're the Earth and the Heavens 'laying together' - this is primordial incest.

I really don't know what's going on now... I was paying attention and everything. Kronos cut off his father's balls, because Uranus didn't like his children and buried them in the Earth. The balls got thrown into the sea and grew into Aphrodite. This makes basically no sense, but I love it anyway.

I think I'll stop writing this; class is nearly over. Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment