Monday 30 March 2015

The bells! The bells!

So I'm once again overdue with an update on here...

Montreal was a little depressing. Constantly rotating selection of Asian roommates aside the city isn't really my favourite place in the world. Once again I failed to do any of the big tourist things and instead spent most of my time reading in the hostel and exploring the Eaton centre.

I spent more money than I intended.

Other than a couple of tops which I wanted to replace some of the ones I bought with me, I also ended up getting some bras (on sale in La Senza - it's been forever since I found exactly what I was looking for), a new bead for my Pandora bracelet (a little aeroplane) and some more tops (which I didn't need).

I got the train up to Quebec City on Saturday evening and grabbed a taxi to the hostel. The hostel is ok, but not great. The gap between top and bottom bunk is a few inches too little - you can't sit up in bed, which is annoying. They had originally assigned me the top bunk but, along with my intense desire not to sleep on a top bunk, there are only two sockets per pair of bunks and none of my cables would have stretched far enough. Given that none of my batteries are lasting very long because of the power supply, I need to be able to charge stuff pretty much constantly if I don't want them dying on me.

After the girl at reception failed to find an extension cord I could use, she reassigned me to the bottom bunk - success!

I hadn't realised how much I'd kisses Quebec City. We were only here for a few days about 4 years ago but it's amazing how much I remember about the place.

I went exploring on Sunday morning and found myself back in the square in front of the Chateau Frontenac where we stayed last time just in time to hear the bells ringing out from the church.

It's such a gorgeous city. Yes, it's ram-packed with tourists and souvenir shops but that doesn't detract too much from its charm.

I've been shopping again, I'm afraid. I just can't seem to stop finding things to buy. I picked up an Inuit-carved whale in Montreal (another semi-unplanned purchase) and I just bought an eudialyte and silver ring. It might need resizing slightly when I'm back home, but we'll see how my fingers change size while I'm still travelling.

It's snowing today. It hasn't settled at all but it's lovely walking through the streets of old Quebec as it falls. It's not as cold as yesterday so I don't mind, and I bought a Quebec hoodie with a lovely warm furry lining.

I'm definitely going to need to ship some more stuff home...

I don't know what I'm really planning to do in the city. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with Francis if his schedule allows - it'd be good to see him again. Other than that I might just wander around and relax some more.

And drink maple syrup lattes. They're amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment